Several first time clients of proofreading and editing service do not know about the difference in between proofreading and editing and what the services that they require. Proofreading and editing generate different outcomes for the writers. This is the reason prospective writers have to be aware of what they actually want to do.
Take a look at this guide that will help you to know the difference in between editing and proofreading.
What is Editing?
Editing is a process that includes a proactive editor that makes changes and suggests which will help in improving the overall writing quality, especially when it is related to expression and language. When you are done editing, the language is going to consistent and sharp. Your expression will be clear and this will improve the overall readability of the writing piece. Editing will make sure that written piece gives and impression that language comes almost naturally to you, even if it doesn’t.
Take a look at the questions that the editor will consider when they edit a writing piece.
- Has proper words been used to express the ideas? In case it sounds like you have consulted a thesaurus all throughout the document then proofreading and editing service is going to pick up on it.
- Have you used passing voice in the writing piece? An active voice might not always be adequate but a piece of writing that is too passive might not make for an interesting read.
- Have you used the right tone for the audience?
- Do you use excessive words? Using frivolous and unnecessary words is consider to be a common trait is a large number of writers and proofreading and editing service tend to hate it a lot.
- Have you gendered the language in a proper manner?
What is Proofreading?
Proofreading seems to have less ambition than editing. Thus, this is a cheap service. However, this performs a crucial role. Proofreading is actually a process where the professionals correct the surface errors in the written piece like spelling, grammatical, punctuation, and other types of language mistake.
- Are there any spelling mistakes?
- Are commas, full stops, semicolons, colons, etc. used correctly?
- Have similar words like ‘there’ and ‘their’ been used correctly?
- Have apostrophes and question marks been used in an adequate manner?
- Is there any double space, especially after a full stop?
You might feel that eliminating the mistakes or the inconsistencies in the document is not that difficult and that a family member, friend, or a computer will be able to do it. Nonetheless, a professional editor is considered to be far more efficient than your friend, family member, or the computer program. The proofreading and editing service are capable of noticing the easy to overlook mistakes in the writing piece.
Proofreading is an important service since any piece of writing which is to be published has to communicate the message in the clearest manner possible. In order to make the writing clear, there shouldn’t be any punctuation, grammar, or spelling errors in the language. This is because it is capable of undermining the impact of the piece of writing and also the author’s credibility.